Friday, December 6, 2013

Chicken Liver Pate

I love liver pate its the only way I will eat liver and I have been wanting to make my own liver pate but never did until now. Turns out the local IGA carries a couple of jewels if your into the odds and bits of the animal and organic chicken livers are just one of the jewels of IGA that I found. 


I downloaded Jennifer McLagan's cookbook, Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal and found a simple and easy recipe for chicken liver pate.  


20 minutes later I had liver pate, wow who knew it was going to be that easy. I mostly followed Jennifer's recipe and the pate turned out to be very tasty.


I am going to confess, I like my store bought liver pate. Its the only pate I have to compare my homemade version to and the homemade version is better. The chicken livers are not overwhelming, there is a slight rosemary flavor, but I think next time I make this recipe I will use white wine. 



Chicken Liver Pate

7 oz of chicken livers
1 shallot
2 sprigs of rosemary
3 tablespoons of Vermouth (I used chicken broth)
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of either butter/olive oil
  1. Prep the chicken livers by patting them dry and slice up the shallots. 
  2. In a sauce pan add the 3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil, place the sprigs of rosemary and chopped shallots into the pan. Once the shallots looked cooked but not brown add in livers.
  3. Cook livers for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. 
  4. Once livers are cooked through, remove rosemary, let the livers and shallots cool down.
  5. De glaze pan with either 3 tablespoons of vermouth or chicken broth. Reduce and then add 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar cook for a few seconds.
  6. Add the liquid to the chicken livers. 
  7. Place all ingredients in a food processor and puree. Refrigerate and take out of refrigerator to soften up before serving. 








No comments:

Post a Comment