Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bone Marrow & Poached Eggs

Success! I found some bone marrow. Actually I found some frozen bones labelled dog bones at the local grocery store. I asked the butcher if he had any bone marrow. The man smiled at me and said, "how long do you want them cut?" 2 inch lengths sounds good to me. 


I had already posted Fergus Henderson's recipe for bone marrow, so I didn't want to COOK and POST yet another Fergus Henderson bone marrow recipe and besides that I am not familiar with parsley as an accompaniment with bone marrow.


I also wanted to cook these little bones of deliciousness right away. Then it came to me! Why not have bone marrow for breakfast with eggs! Bone marrow in place of bacon what a way to start the day. 


Now parsley and shallots sound good to me but I could not find any shallots so I replaced the shallots with green onions.  


I was going to bake some bannock to serve with the marrow but Montana Man had ordered and bought some bannock and I was not going to post another woman's bannock, not on my blog. I bought some whole grain bread to go with the marrow and poached eggs. 


I only had one good shot to post but let me say why the hell did I wait so long to combine bone marrow and poached eggs for breakfast? I scooped out the marrow and mixed it in with the yoke of the eggs  with a sprinkle of parsley and green onion, it was the most satisfying breakfast I have had in years. 

Bone Marrow & Poached Eggs

2 inch length bone with marrow
Eggs
whole grain bread or a good loaf of crusty bread 
Flat leaf parsley 
Onions
Sea salt and pepper

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place bones in an oven proof pan. Place in oven and cook for 15 mins. 
  2. Clean and chop green onion and a few stalks of flat leaf parsley.
  3. Meanwhile, get hot water ready for poached eggs. When the marrow is cooked after 15 mins., cook your eggs and toast a slice of whole wheat bread or a thick slice of crusty bread.
Scoop out the marrow and place it on top of your poached eggs and toast, with a sprinkle of parsley, green onion, and salt and pepper. 



No comments:

Post a Comment