Friday, December 20, 2013

Hot Rosemary & Lemon Water

Its been challenging trying to bake at a higher altitude. I attempted to cook fried apple rings but it was an epic failure. Several recipes I made this week were all epic failures.  


I also live with a family that are fussy and suspicious eaters and it has been a challenge for me not only baking at higher altitutes but also cooking for a family that is used to eating highly processed foods.


This week Montana Man needed to buy and haul hay for the horses. I decided to take a break as well and went with him. It had snowed on and off for several days and I wanted to see what the reserve looked like under snow. 


I don't drink enough water and during days like this Montana Man and I always have an insulated cup of coffee. Its great to find an alternative warm drink other than coffee. 


I discovered hot lemon water and infusing water with different herbs when I was detoxing.


I made some rosemary lemon water right before we left to pick up the round bails. I do like working outdoors with Montana Man, it reminds me of my childhood. I spent hours outside during the winter playing in the snow.


I love how I can feel the crisp winter weather on my cheeks and nose and when I take a big gulp of the hot rosemary lemon water it immediately warms up all of my senses. Being outdoors and drinking my hot rosemary lemon water makes up for all my failures in the kitchen. 



Rosemary & Lemon Water 

2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemons
honey or agave nectar
6-8 cups of water
(depending on how much of the rosemary lemon water you want)
  1. Heat up in a saucepan heat up the 2 cups of water with the 2 sprigs of rosemary. Once the water comes to a boil take the sauce pan with the rosemary off the stove and allow the rosemary to infuse into the water. (room tempature)
  2. While the rosemary infuses with the water, freshly squeeze about 3 to 4 lemons or until you have half a cup. (Your making hot lemonade so use as much lemon as you would in cold lemonade)
  3. Next, heat up the remaining water pour in the lemon juice and add about 1/4 cup of honey or just sweeten with honey to your tastes. I don't like overly sweeten drinks so I prefer just a hint of sweetness. 
  4. Add the rosemary water to the hot lemonade you just made and pour into cups.What you don't drink hot can be cooled at room temperature and put into the fridge to drink cold over ice. 
  5. If you don't want to make a pitcher of the rosemary lemon water then just follow step one with just one sprig of rosemary and use the juice 1/2 a lemon with a squeeze of honey. 









No comments:

Post a Comment