Thursday, December 12, 2013

Henderson's Beet Root Salad

Every morning this week I have been waking up to a gentle dusting of snow these past few mornings. It finely stopped snowing last night and today the warm western winds arrived warming up the Bearspaw Mountains. We have not gone into town shopping since it started snowing last Friday and we are low in groceries and hay for the horses. While the weather is warm and beautiful we have decided to load up the trailer and go buy some hay, groceries will have to wait until tomorrow. 


 Beetroots if stored properly in the fridge will keep for weeks and since we have beetroots, red cabbage and onions today is the perfect day to make Fergus Henderson's Beet Root Salad. 


Tonight we have planned a simple meal, boiled neckbones, boiled potatoes and beetroot salad. I don't have all the ingredients so I made a few adjustments. 


Beetroot salad is an eye popping salad, the colors of this salad invite you to take a bite and when you do its not only earthy but sweet until you bite into the red onion. It's a great salad to serve those in your family that grew up eating beets. I couldn't help myself, I ate some for lunch! 



Fergus Henderson's Beetroot Salad

2-3 small beetroots
1/2 red onion 
1/4 of red cabbage
salt & pepper
olive oil 
balsamic vinegar 
capers 
creme fraiche

  1. Wash and prep all raw vegetables. Peel outer layer of the beetroots and grate. Peel red onion and finely slice only 1/2 of the red onion. Next take 1/4 of the red cabbage and slice thinly. 
  2. Combine all raw vegetables and season with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and capers to your tastes. 
  3. Let the salad sit for an hour before serving with a spoonful of creme fraishe. 
Adjustments: I used sour cream instead of creme fraiche. I substituted balsamic vinegar with red wine vinegar and half a lemon. I don't like the strong taste of red onions so I soaked the onions in water, I then drained the onions and socked them again in some of the red wine vinegar. 








No comments:

Post a Comment