Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Bourdain and Hamilton

I have read thee of Bourdian's books, Kitchen Confidential, Medium Raw & The Nasty Bits. 


and Hamilton's memoir, Blood, Bones, & Butter.  


soon to be a movie 

Click here for details

I thoroughly enjoyed Bourdain's books and Hamilton's memoir. These books are in part the impetus for starting this blog. I have Hamilton's and Bourdian's books on Kindle and I have highlighted and made many notes that reflect my own personal experiences in the food industry as well as my thoughts and beliefs about food. It was Hamilton's childhood memories that made me realized this is what I have been wanting to write about for the past four years. I want to write about my own childhood memories of living with a hunter along the foothills of the Rocky Mountain range. 

In my opinion these are the best books that reflect why some people enter the food industry and either make it or they fail. Bourdain and Hamilton share their journey from dishwashers to chefs in a straight forward, to the point and blunt way. They don't glorify the life of being a cook but they share what they love about cooking that lead to their success as chefs and writers. 

I didn't make it in the industry because I never really wanted a career as a cook and I never had dreams of owning my own restaurant. I was in high school when the school councilor suggested that I look at a career in the food industry and suggested I should waitress that I was pretty enough to make good money in tips because, "Indians don't do well in university."And that's what I ended up doing for several years.

When I entered into the food industry I was 19 and I stayed in the industry for 12 years. Throughout those years while I was waitressing and later cooking, I managed to upgrade some high school classes and attend 3 post-secondary institutions. I was eventually successful and completed an Education degree which finally ended my career in the food industry. Two years ago I completed a Masters degree in curriculum development and now I want to write a food blog. I have learned a great deal about myself, my childhood, my connection to the Rockies, my cultural roots and I really do like eating good food and cooking, just not professionally. I also proved my high school councilor wrong, I did do well in university. 

I highly recommend these books, especially if you have ever worked in the industry and like good entertaining and insightful reading about life behind the scenes of any restaurant. 




No comments:

Post a Comment