Monday, November 25, 2013

Vietnamese Coffee

When I decide to do something, like start a food blog, I have a tendency to jump right in without much planning and I hope for the best. I wanted to share stories and Native history through food but I decided this weekend that I need to do a bit more research and planning when it comes to this blog. I need recipes. Last night while I was snacking with Montana Man we pulled out a variety of snack foods; liver pate, pickled pigs feet, sweet gherkins, goat cheese, crackers and red grapes. While we finished up the liver pate, pigs feet and crackers the recipes started to flow.


Why don't I make my own pate, pickled pigs feet and crackers? My mother also bakes like a maniac she has a ton of cookie and dessert recipes that she has collected for over 30 years that I can use. The recipes are starting to come together; organ meats, bones, cheap cuts of meat, pig fat, canning, vegetables, snacks, cookies and desserts. What about the wild meat? That is a bit more of a challenge since Montana Man doesn't hunt, at least not this year. Game birds are also a little harder to come by and this is why I have to do more planning and research to see what is available in this area.


But the reading, research and cooking will have to wait a little longer, today I helped Montana Man do a little fence work. I am like a surgical nurse that keeps the tools organized and in one place, then hands over the necessary tools when asked. The day started out warm but quickly dropped temperature when the clouds rolled in, perfect timing. I snuck back into the house and made myself a nice sweet cup of Vietnamese coffee to warm up the cheeks and finger tips before heading back outside. 


Vietnamese Coffee
3 teaspoons of strong coffee
2 tablespoons of sweeten condensed milk
  1. In a 12oz coffee cup put 1-2 tablespoons of condensed milk in the cup. 
  2. Using a metal filter put 3 teaspoons of either Cafe Du Monde or Trung Nguyen Premium Blend coffee. Screw on metal screen (lightly). 
  3. Next place the metal filter over the coffee cup and pour hot water into the filter about 1/4 of the way, wait until water completely disappears then fill to the top with hot water.
  4. Once the water is completely gone (if you screwed on the screen to tight you may have to loosen), take the metal filter off, mix and enjoy. You can either drink it hot or pour over ice. 

Note:
If the coffee is too strong add a bit of hot water directly into your coffee cup. I also start out with one tablespoon of condensed milk, but adjust the milk to your liking. You can find these metal filters and the coffee in most Asian grocery stores, I bought mine at T&T in Calgary, Alberta. The filter I bought also came with instructions. 













No comments:

Post a Comment