Thursday, January 9, 2014

Breakfast Maple Sage Sausage Patties

I bought the cookbook, Beyond Bacon: paleo recipes that respect the whole pig, by Stacy Toth & Mattew McCarry. When I saw the word bacon in the book title I was immediately interested in the book. The cookbook is not only just about pork recipes that utilizes the whole pig but the authors also stress the importance of buying locally grown meats that are fresh and raised humanely.


Before I began experimenting and cooking with the recipes in the cookbook, it was important to me to try and find a butcher shop that sells organic meats. Organic was never a part of my vocabulary growing up and throughout my adulthood its only recently that I use  the word, but what I mean is finding a butcher that buys pigs and cattle that are local, feed according to what the animal is genetically meant to eat, humanely raised and butchered. I was lucky to find one and its expensive. However, I am happy to say that the ground pork I used in the following recipe is locally raised, free of growth hormones and has not been shot up with antibiotics and humanely butchered.


Breakfast is the most important meal according to my husband. When I first met my husband, I used to eat for breakfast: plain omelets, poached eggs on rye, yogurt with granola and a banana, with lots of coffee. I was teaching so I never had time to cook a large breakfast with bacon or sausages. My husband changed that, he cooks a huge breakfast because the next meal we eat is supper. I did notice that there is very little snacking between breakfast and supper. I actually lost some weight.


My husband and I love our bacon, but he also really likes his breakfast sausages and sausage patties. The patties he buys are so highly processed I can no longer taste the meat but they are his favourite. Now when he met me I was eating yogurt and granola for breakfast, I still do on occasion, so he is suspicious of my cooking and anything that I make that is healthy. These homemade breakfast patties are healthier than the processed sausage patties he is used to eating but I am pretty sure he will eat these because its meat and you can taste the meat.


Recipe is adapted from the cookbook, Beyond Bacon, "Maple Sage Breakfast Sausage Links."

Breakfast Maple Sage Sausage Patties 

1 lbs of ground pork
11/2 to 3 tablespoons of maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like your breakfast sausages)
2 tablespoons of fresh sage finely chopped (original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons but I misread the recipe and I liked the 2 tablespoons of fresh sage)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds ground
1/2 teaspoonn of coriander ground
1 teaspoons of peppercorns ground

Instructions: 

1. If you have whole fennel seeds, peppercorns, coriander grind them. Then combine all the ingridents in a bowl and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. I think you can make this a head of time. 
2. Shape the meat into patties and cook. 

I tested these patties on my mother, her husband and my son. I used the 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and the only complaint I recieved was in reference to the maple syrup, it was too much, but we ate them all. 






No comments:

Post a Comment